Yesterday I took Biscuit to the library to sign up for their summer reading program. We met a super nice librarian who was very pleased to sign up a little one for summer reading and then recommend several easy readers she might enjoy.
I had tried to explain summer reading to Biscuit and described the summer reading program of yore that involved a theme and a little marker with your name on it moving around a trail on the wall of the library. One square forward/book. First to the finish (or the one who gets farthest?) wins!
Around here, the summer reading program is a bingo game where you have to read certain types of books to fill in a bingo square. For each bingo you get entered into a drawing for a big prize. And you get a free book for participation. It's less about quantity of books read and more about reading a variety of books.
I also learned that there is a summer reading program for adults (!) so of course the Escondido Public Library summer reading champion (c. 1983) just had to sign up for that.
I was very pleased to see that the adult bingo cards include "listen to an audio book" so my strategy of listening to an audio book while running (and only while running) is paying off in both 1. making me run more/longer 2. helping me complete one stinkin' bingo square.
Meanwhile, Biscuit's primary goal seems to beat me at this game and considering she got her first bingo tonight there's really no competition. But her books are totally short! I'm going to make the kid go for blackout while I struggle to complete my first bingo. And I'll have to go with a diagonal to include the free center square for signing up.
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (my current audio book, free from the library!)
- Kitchen Confidential (not technically a biography but I'd like to count it for that square. Maybe non fiction? No square for memior)
- The Westing Game (I get a square for reading a mystery but not sure if a mystery written for 10 year olds counts. Plus I seem to have lost the book in the bathroom remodel upheaval. The librarian recommended "The Cat Who..." books for my mystery requirement. Any alternate recs?)
- Ok, yes, I just finished The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. (unable to resist Twilight stuff. And it was free! Unclear if I can use it to win at bingo)
- I also read Warriors of God this month (I'd like to use it for my non fiction square but I technically read it before signing up for summer reading and I don't want to cheat to beat the kid. Dang morals. Maybe I will count Kitchen Confidential after all)
- I'm really enjoying Goodreads for keeping track of my book reading since "read 12 books" was one of my New Year's resolutions
Kid has already read (since yesterday!):
- Award winning book: Madeline's Rescue (Caldecott)
- Librarian recommended book: Little Bear
- Fairytale: Tinkerbell (kind of a stretch but I let it count)
- Book about things that go: Boats, Boats, Boats
- ABC Book: ABCs of Thailand
- Book about animals: Curious George at the Aquarium
- Book about numbers: Berenstein Bears Go Up and Down
- Book about dinosaurs: Ten Terrible Dinosaurs
Gee, competitive much, kid?