According to iPhoto is was September 19, 2010 when we started our natural dye experiments. I'm no perfectionist so I'm sure it was user error but we had almost no luck using oak galls as a mordant nor using any of the materials we found. Still it was fun to experiement and Biscuit recorded our unsuccessful dye recipes.
In November I noticed all the leaves were about to fall so we did the leaf printing.
In January I tried my hand at improvisational piecing. With mixed results. Hello, curved seams!
I decided that since I'd already ripped the word sycamore in half perfection was overrated and forged ahead with a sewing 'party' during which I machine quilted the whole thing.
And today I finished the last bit of binding. Hooray.
I like how the mix of machine and hand quilting looks on the back. And, just for a sense of scale, here's me holding the quilt in a Biscuit precribed pose.
I think it's certifiably the wonkiest quilt ever but I like it okay. Biscuit and I have been calling it Oscar's quilt but I think Oscar needs one like this (awesome Lego quilt by Hillary).
Done. Just in time for some new leaves on the yellow poplar tree.
PS Yes, I know (now) that catalpa is spelled wrong. And the fig leaf is unlabeled. Let's call it part of the charm of this project ;)