Sometimes when a woman loves a man very, very much, she is able to overlook minor flaws. For example, his taste in upholstered furniture. And sometimes when a man and woman love each other so much they decide to spend the rest of their lives together they realize that they bring to their union many duplicate posessions. Such as a full set of Le Crueset and a full set of Calphalon pans. And so, the man and woman will learn the art of compromise and the fact that, yes, two full sets of pots and pans can be sqeezed into a tiny kitchen. And the woman, being a cheapskate, will realize the logic in keeping the (oh gosh I don't even want to KNOW what he paid for it at Macy's) high quality green leather couch over the (I'm pretty sure I bought stolen property out of a storage place off the side of the highway) inexpensive denim couch. And they will enter into a wonderful and loving marriage complete with bachelor pad living room furniture.
Years will pass.
Over the years the woman may recognize and appreciate the durability and wipeablity of leather. Especially when child number 2 turns out to spit up a lot. And she may conceed that the couch is indeed incredibly comfortable and serves admirably as a resting place for houseguests. And yet, she will never love this couch and will always wonder how many green cows were reqired to cover its every surface.
And so, on the 12th anniversary of the very day the man proposed to the woman, the woman will list the couch on Craigslist (in pretty darn impressively good condition she might add). She will note that the couch has many features:
- the aforementioned comfort and ability to double as a (narrow but comfy) guest bed
- the wipeability and fact that it has withstood 1.2 childhoods (give or take) with nary a tear or scratch
- the fact that it can hold 5 loads of laundry, three adults or approximately 6 babies without any trouble at all
- the ability to rest up to three remote controls on it's wide, curving arms
- bottom cushions that can be removed to dig for lost change (or remotes) but which velcro into place for secure sitting
- The fact that this couch is available immediately and comes with delivery in the Sacramento area
What do you think this piece of furniture nostalgia is worth? I need a price to put it on Craigslist.