With thanks to my friend for the perfect name I'm finally ready to introduce this idea on the blog. I've been thinking for months about a series of, for lack of a better term, "interactive" quilts and textiles. Basically I create a piece that is in some way incomplete and then someone else finishes it.
Sort of like those stories where one person writes a sentence and passes it to the next. But with a quilt.
Here's how "it takes two" is going to work:
- I create a piece (a small quilt, pillow cover or other project).
- I post a photo of that incomplete piece on the blog and open it up for comments.
- Anyone who in the United States who is interested in playing along leaves a comment (if you're outside the U.S. and willing to chip in for shipping please join in--I'll pay for domestic shipping)
- I'll select a winner (probably randomly but maybe not) from among all the comments
- I'll mail the piece to the winner
- Within one week of receipt the winner will complete the quilt following the instructions provided
- The winner will take a photo of the completed quilt and email it to me and/or post it on their own blog/flickr etc.
- The winner keeps the finished project good or bad as it may be.
I know it all sounds a bit odd but I'm really excited about this. I have at least 10 ideas in mind and 3 projects already complete or partially complete. I hope to post once a month or so until I run out of steam.
Want to play? I'll post the first quilt today!
Thanks so much for reading and hopefully for playing along.